This review is going to contain spoilers. This has been your warning…
3 …2 … 1 …
All right – here we go.
I gave Batman V Superman a 7 out of 10 stars. Spousal Unit and I went to our local haunt to discuss the movie.
Here are my 10 points:
1. Jesse Eisenberg was wonderful as Lex Luthor. He was wonderfully creepy. The final scene with him in the prison cell was WONDERFUL! I look forward to seeing him again.
2. Ben Affleck was as awful as I thought. Flat, boring, no emotion, no nothing. UGH.
3. The dream sequences? One? Maybe. Two? GADS!!! Three? HELP ME!!!! Come on! A lot of the previews for the movie showed conflicts that didn’t exist in “reality.” Were they supposed to be portents of what’s to come? I don’t care. Batman is NOT PSYCHIC!!!
4. Most of the first hour was a waste of time. The opening scene (Superman fighting Zod) was wonderful. It gave a really good reasoning for the rest of the movie. The desert scene? Sure. It gave a good reason for why the world (and Batman) disliked Superman. But 40-ish of the first hour? UGH!
5. Gal Gadot was – and is going to be – a GREAT Wonder Woman! Believable. And powerful!
6. I usually have an issue with multiple villains. However, this movie worked for me. Batman versus Superman versus Lex Luthor versus Doomsday? Awesome. The “gladiator” match was quite good. The buff Batman in his super-armour suit was believable versus Superman. Lex Luthor as the brilliant – yet insane – villain was a great foil for both men. And Doomsday’s ability to kick some serious booty versus Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman was nicely done (the CGI was AMAZING!!!)
7. Amy Adams. I’m a fan of Amy. And I was mostly a fan of Lois Lane. Adams played Lois as mostly a strong character (smart and sassy), but the use of her as Superman’s weakness (whether intentional with Lex throwing her off the roof – or unintentional with her near-drowning) was a little tired.
8. Damned movie looked like a Dodge Charger advertisement a few times. Really?
9. Costuming was fabulous. Like I mentioned above, the Batman Super Suit was great (albeit a little Robocop-looking). Superman’s uniform was gorgeous! He looked like he has scales. And it worked!
10. Previews of the movies to come? Nice introduction to Aquaman, the Flash, Cyborg – and OF COURSE Wonder Woman!
11. Great cameos by a few familiar faces: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Soledad O’Brien, Anderson Cooper, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lauren Cohan, and OF COURSE General Zod!